Thursday, September 26, 2013

Day 22! Victory!

Woo Hoo!

So, I made it through 21 days without sugar, mostly, if you don't count the bite of chutney or the accidental rice syrup solids in the smoothie that one day.  So, what did I do today on Day 22?

I began the day like any other of the past 3 weeks, oatmeal with almond milk and pumpkin pie spice.  I toyed with the thought of adding maple syrup, just to live on the wild side, but decided against it, because it's been satisfying just on its own.  I took a cup of coffee with my unsweetened chocolate soy milk with me in the car on the way to the studio, and enjoyed it very much.  It pre-empted my desire to stop at Dunkin Donuts and get a pumpkin spice latte, like I thought I might want to do on Day 22 back when I started this whole thing.

I was pretty busy most of the day, and didn't really think about eating.  I ended up eating rice cakes for lunch (boring, right?) and for dinner we made a stir fry with broccoli, garlic, and seitan.  It was crunchy and delicious- I had 2 servings!  For an afternoon snack, I decided to go ahead and mix up a protein drink with that mix I had purchased. 

Ironically, I didn't even think about getting the celebratory dark chocolate bar that I was anticipating the other day.  I did eye up some fruit when I went into the store to pick up the broccoli on the way home.  Peaches, tangerines, honeydew melons.... they looked attractive, but they were shipped all the way from California, and none of them seemed ripe enough to eat today or tomorrow, so I didn't buy any.  I did buy some sweet potatoes that I will cook up tomorrow!

So, how do I feel?  I feel pretty darn good.  I stuck to my guns, and I have all of you to thank for helping me stay accountable.  You will continue to do so, too, when we see each other at the studio, online, etc, even if you don't realize it!  One of the best feelings about being out of the clutches of a sugar addiction is that I am waking up refreshed in the morning, and not feeling tired in the middle of the day.  My energy levels are steady and good.  This last week, I've even been able to stay up a little bit later without crashing, and I've been sleeping well.  To me, those are all signs that I'm doing something right.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences about the sugar detox, if you've been trying it along with me, or if you'd consider doing it in the future. 

Another very cool benefit of these 3 weeks is that I've been enjoying doing the blog.  I'd love to say I'll keep blogging, but I find it hard to do when I don't have a specific subject to focus on.  I do have a yoga blog going over at  http://inthebhav.blogspot.com/ but I haven't kept up with it very much... I just looked and the last entry was from almost a year ago!  So, maybe I'll pop back over there on a weekly or monthly basis and come up with some insightful things to write about.  Suggestions for topics are welcome and appreciated!

So overall, it was pretty easy for me to give up sugar for three weeks.  I guess I really am sweet enough!

Lots of love,
Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment