Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Day 20: The end is near!

So, people are asking me, "What happens on Day 22?  Are you going to binge on sugar?  Are you going to go back to your habitual way of eating?"

These are very good questions, ones which I didn't have a clear idea of an answer to when I started this 21 day adventure.  I knew what my goal was, and I was pretty sure what the results were going to be, but I didn't know where I wanted to take it when the time was over.

As of today, I realize that I am pretty happy eating the way I have been for the past 20 days, and could continue to do so with a few modifications.

I will incorporate more fruit back into my diet.  I think that eating a variety of fruit is a very good way to get lots of vitamins, phytochemicals, and moisture into my body.  I love the taste of fruit, much of it is portable, requires little preparation, and best of all, it isn't processed like rice cakes or tofu are, which have become staples in my diet these past 3 weeks!

I will not worry about whether there is a little bit of sugar in a sauce, a chutney, or a protein drink, as long as it's within reason.  I will continue to use unsweetened almond and soy milk (like I pretty much always have) but I won't worry about that 2 g of "rice syrup solids" that were in the vegan protein shake mix.  I will drink it with pleasure!

I will not eat candy, cookies, doughnuts, muffins, cakes, pies, etc.  UNLESS there is a very good reason to do so.  One exception will be dark chocolate, of course.  But it will be a couple of squares, rather than half the bar.  In fact, this will probably be the first treat I give myself on Thursday, and I will do my best to limit it to once or twice a week, rather than on a daily kind of basis!  I can challenge myself to see "how long can I make this chocolate bar last?"

I've decided not to have cake tomorrow.  Nobody will really care if I eat cake or not, so why sabotage my discipline just for a piece of cake?  I'm only bringing the cake because the student said she really likes cake.  I will have some fruit or veggies that one of the other students are bringing.  Dilemma solved. 

I'm really looking forward to sweeter vegetables, like sweet potatoes- such a great autumn veggie!  I love them with cinnamon.  I will also get some acorn or kabocha squash for the weekend.  I'm also anticipating some yummy green smoothies!

So, to make a long story short, I do want to keep my sugar intake at a minimum, but I'm not going to be hyper vigilant about it.  Yea!

No comments:

Post a Comment