Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Day 14: Just one week to go! But, where am I going?

Ah, today was blissfully easy to get through.  Oatmeal with almonds for breakfast, grilled tofu and potato salad from Earth Origins for lunch, a salad and rice cakes for dinner.  In between, I had a cup of coffee with almond milk, and today instead of chai, I had roasted dandelion tea, at the suggestion of a friend who is also doing 21 days without sugar. It has a carob-like flavor, and it is supposed to be good for detoxing.  I also drank a lot of water today, and had some hibiscus tea at Andy's house when I went for my Pilates session.

Hydration is really key for me.  If I forget to drink a lot of water during the day, I fizzle out, kinda like the Wicked Witch of the East when Dorothy removed her ruby slippers.  (That image always freaked me out as a little kid!)
Anyway, the question has come up:  What happens at the end of the 21 days?  Will I gorge on donuts and ice cream?  (Not likely.)  Will I continue to give up sugar entirely?  (Also not likely.)  What is my overall goal here, anyway?

The goal is not to unnecessarily restrict myself from life's sweet pleasures.  I am a yogini, yes, but I'm more of a Tantrika than an Ascetic.  I believe that life is to be lived fully, and that pleasures are not to be completely denied.  I will be happy to partake in birthday cake, (and even possibly a day early, as one of my students is turning 80 years old next week, and we are having a party for her!) happy to enjoy a spoon of sugar in my chai every now and then, and thrilled to eat a banana.  For me, this 21 day reset is really an exercise in mindfulness.  Noticing how much sugar was in my diet, being mindful of the ingredients in the foods I tend to reach for in a pinch, and awareness that a little bit of planning can go a long way in maintaining a clean diet and good energy levels throughout my day.  What I really wanted to get out of this was a restoration of balance, and I do feel like I'm getting there.  As a bonus, I have really been enjoying the blogging, and I'll have to think of something else to blog about after next week.  Hmmmm, maybe Yoga??

So, for week 3, I don't feel the need to make any big changes.  I'll continue to restrict sugar in most forms, with the exception of some fruit (apples mostly, but maybe this week coming up I'll feel like expanding into berries or citrus.  I was totally happy with just the apples in week 2.)  I think I may also add sweet potatoes, and/or squash- my friend told me about Kabocha squash, which looks similar to acorn squash, but has edible skin. So, I may try that.  Fall is a time of year when I like cooking squash and sweet potatoes- they are heavy and grounding and warming, especially with spices on them like cinnamon or garam masala.  Mmmmm.  I think I'll also add shredded coconut into my oatmeal this week- I'm getting bored with just almonds or walnuts!  And next week after that it will be raisins, for sure.  (Tim will be so happy!)

Thanks for following this blog, and thank you so much to those of you who have sent me private messages with questions, comments, and support.  You're holding me accountable, and I appreciate it!  Namaste,

Cheryl

2 comments:

  1. what about a salt detox? I am horrified on a daily basis about how much salt is hidden in our food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Krishna,

      I agree, processed foods do contain a LOT of salt! However, salt, (unlike sugar) is a necessary part of our diet- it helps to regulate our electrolyte balance, and is important for our muscles, especially to prevent cramping. I would not recommend removing ALL salt from anyone's diet, although many people could benefit from reducing their sodium intake.

      Delete