Monday, September 23, 2013

Is it really Day 19 already?

I actually just had to go and check the calendar to make sure I had counted correctly, because it really doesn't seem like it's been that long.  But, I guess it has been quite the adventure in sugarless-ness.  I feel like I've been surfing the waves of desire- for sweet, decadent foods, for quick fixes from hunger, for wanting to rid myself of a habitual pattern, for wanting to feel fabulous.

I actually do feel pretty fabulous!  I haven't felt tired at all, except for at night, when I totally crash as soon as I hit the pillow.  I wake up in the morning refreshed and energized and ready to face the day.  I've gotten lots of work done in these past 19 days, and haven't felt overwhelmed or overly emotional about stuff.  My stress level seems to have gone down.  These are all very good things!

So, I'm interested in the connection between sugar and stress.  I've done some initial exploration on the internet, and it appears to be common medical knowledge that stress causes people's blood sugar levels to rise or spike, especially in diabetics who do not have good insulin regulation.  Sources like the Mayo Clinic, the American Diabetes Association, and WebMD all agree that physical and mental stress can cause blood sugar to rise.  My question is, is the relationship reciprocal?  Does a diet high in sugar contribute to a stress response in the body?

Apparently, some researchers at USF wondered the same thing.  A 2010 study found that rats who ate a high sugar diet exhibited greater stress reactions than those who ate a low sugar diet, and the low sugar rats tended to be more social and curious that those who were stressed out on sugar.


So, I have to admit, I had a very minor confession from Saturday night.  We were at an Indian restaurant, and ordered a variety of dishes for the table.  Without even thinking about it, I took a good sized scoop of mango chutney for my naan.  Of course, at the first bite, I realized that it was full of sugar, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the rest of it!  There may have been sugar in some of the other sauces as well, you never really know when you're eating out.  But, I'm really pleased for the most part that I've been so conscious in what I've been consuming these past 2.5 weeks.

I think my biggest weakness after Wednesday is going to be chocolate.  It's the only sweet thing I'm really still craving.  Perhaps that's because I've been indulging my chocolate desire with the unsweetened chocolate milk in my tea, and the cacao powder in the almond butter concoction (which tasted much better when made with peanut butter, in my opinion!)  Maybe if I went totally cold turkey with the chocolate, I would lose that strong craving too, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to go there!  I think that I've done really well with accomplishing what I wanted to, and don't feel the need for further deprivation!

Because it's not about deprivation.  Over the weekend, at the philosophy workshop, we were talking about how desire is not a bad thing, how life is meant to be enjoyed and celebrated- all of life, the good, the bad, the sweet, the sour, and even the chocolatey.  (OK, I'm really paraphrasing here.)  Like one of my yoga students said to me early on, it's about balance.  And I'm really striving to find a middle way.  But sometimes to find the middle, you have to swing wildly to both sides, like a pendulum, and eventually find that stillness in the center.

Tomorrow, I have to either make or purchase a small birthday cake for one of my students who is turning 80 years old.  We'll be celebrating her awesomeness on Wednesday morning, which will be my Day 21.  And she said that her favorite is chocolate frosting.  So, I just may choose to take a small, sweet taste of that celebration with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment